One hundred videos and three more playlists were added in the February 2012 update. Eleven previously listed videos are no longer available. That brings the current video total to 2,145 in 89 playlists. The sorting convention for playlist videos is first by post author, then by date, then alphabetically by title. An exception is the Fashion playlist, which is only sorted by date. A pdf of all videos in their sorted order for each playlist can be downloaded at Playlist_Feb_2012. If you are into playing with databases, you can also download my original EXCEL file at Playlist_Feb_2012. The EXCEL file has three sections – first a listing of all the videos in their sorted order with the new additions shown in red. Deletions are shown in green (the author can delete a post, declare it private, or an account can close, or maybe I’m correcting a past mistake). Second, a list of just the new additions. Finally, there is a summary of activity in each playlist by month. The pdf file now only has the total and new additions pages; the summary is getting too long to fit in the standard format so I’m only going to have it in the EXCEL file starting with the February 2012 update.
The playlist Update_February_2012, which is now the first one in the ‘Featured’ page in the new YouTube format, contains all the new videos added for February. The order is the same as in the pdf file. The Update_January_2011 playlist is still there, and the Update_December_2011 playlist has been deleted. Videos being collected for the March update are in the playlist Z-Update.
If you see something that is missing, or if you have suggestions for better organization, please write to email@example.com.
Newly added playlists include:
Japan – Bobbinlace (3 videos)
Tibet (1 video)
Tatting – Needle Tatting (1 video, and 37 transfered from the standard tatting playlists)
New videos added to the collection:
Below I summarize the number of new videos added to existing playlists. In parentheses, I am also adding the number of videos in a playlist that were deleted outside of my control during the month. Note, I don’t always check every playlist for deletions with each monthly update – usually just the ones that have new additions. But this month, since I’m late on the update anyway, I took a little extra time to check all the playlists, and the figures are pretty accurate for everything.
Bobbinlace Instruction 1 (1)
Bobbinlace Instruction 2 8
Africa – Lace 1
Brazil – Bobbinlace 4
Brazil – Music 1
China and Taiwan 1
Czech Republic – Bobbinlace 18 (1)
France – Bobbinlace 2
France – Museums 1
Germany – Bobbinlace 3
Hungary – Halas 1
Ireland – Irish Crochet 1
Italy – Bobbinlace 1
Italy – Burano 1 (1)
Norway – Hardanger 13 (4)
Romanian Point Needlelace 4
Russia – Museums 2
Spain – Bobbinlace -1 6 (1)
Spain – Bobbinlace – 2 4 (2)
Tatting 1 (A-J) 2 (1) and 16 transferred to Needle Tatting
Tatting 2 (K-M) 7 and 10 transferred to Needle Tatting
Tatting 3 (N-T) 1 and 11 transferred to Needle Tatting
Turkey – Oya 3
Ukraine – Irish Crochet 2
United Kingdom – Museums 2
USA – Museums 1
Notes on the format:
– I changed the name of the “China – Machine” playlist to “China and Taiwan”, since a Taiwanese video suddenly showed up.
– I’ve added a new playlist called “Tatting – Needle Tatting”. I’ve been meaning to do this for some time to give the needle tatters a little easier access to their specialty. I looked in the 4 other tatting playlists and transfered all the Needle Tatting videos (at least I hope I got them all) to the new playlist.
– The new YouTube format is now the default; it is no longer possible to go back to the old format. It’s still a bit frustrating – you cannot get the playlists into any reasonable order – alphabetical would be great, but is not an option. They are basically listed in the order the playlists were created. Everyone is complaining, but YouTube is not listening.
I’ve made the ‘Featured’ page with the featured video and playlists and the update notes the default homepage for viewers. Note the three tabs just under “The LaceNews Channel” title at the upper left. ‘Featured’ is the default. The ‘Feed’ tab is of absolutely no interest, other than it does contain the only option to view comments from viewers (I really wish this were a separate tab – it’s hard to find). The playlists are on the ‘Videos’ tab – and you can also see the playlists by clicking on ‘View All’ at the bottom of the featured videos on the default home page. I’ll let this go for a month – depending on feedback I might make the ‘Videos’ tab the default.
Here are a few new interesting things:
– I’ve changed the featured video on the LaceNews Channel home page to”Dagmar Bucanova – Balada v cipke / A Ballad in Lace (1981)”, from the Slovakia – Bobbinlace playlist. I think Bucanova is the filmaker, and Elena Holéczyová is the lacemaker.
– I have to say that the videos for February are a little thin, but things are picking up a lot in March.