Ebay Alerts! Eleven items – April 12, 2012

http://tinyurl.com/6wuylez Vintage Ladies Wedding Hand Embroidered Brussels Lace Hankie
Size:  ~13″ square
Starting Price: $24.99
Auction ends: Apr 14, 2012 11:18:35 PDT
Offered by: Ebay seller judyshoper, Fontana CA, United States
Comments: The light background of this photo makes it very hard to see the lace, and also makes it look dirtier than it probably is. It is a Point de Gaze handkerchief with I think some raised petal roses, hard to tell.  Definitely a higher end market piece, and the condition is probably very good. Seller says unused, but it’s hard for me to offer an opinion again because of the light background.  Some nicely done fillings, and I think the edge picots are connected, which is the mark of a particular although unknown manufacturer.

Sold for $422.55, 7 bidders.

http://tinyurl.com/76w98hb ANTIQUE LACE – BRUSSELS APPLIQUE LACE
Size:  2″ x 66″
Starting Price: $45.00
Auction ends: Apr 15, 2012 08:40:26 PDT
Offered by: Maria Niforos, Ebay seller mithya, London-New York, United States
Comments: The narrow Brussels application on machine net, all bobbinlace motifs. The work is quite fine, and note the esprits in the ground. Condition looks very good – I think I see one or two tiny holes in the net in the last photo, minor.

No bids.

http://tinyurl.com/73y8ujm ANTIQUE LACE-CIRCA 1700’s,VALENCIENNE LACE
Size:
~55″, no width given
Starting Price: $225.00
Auction ends: Apr 15, 2012 09:19:48 PDT
Offered by: Maria Niforos, Ebay seller mithya, London-New York, United States
Comments: I think this Valenciennes border is complete, but both top and bottom edges have been modified so it’s a little hard to tell. It is a beautiful design with fond de neige ground, probably around 1730 or so. You almost see antecedents in some of the finer earlier Dutch ‘Vandyke’ style laces, I think someone needs to look into a possible connection here. The edges are a problem. I think someone has added a machine picot edge to the bottom scallops, and who knows what is going on at the header edge.  There are a few small holes in the lace proper. Overall it’s a great design, and perhaps the objectionable additions could be removed.

No bids.

http://tinyurl.com/6oegofn Antique/vintage hand made Edwardian Irish crochet lace dress front/collar
Size:
Front neck to edge 9″, neckline 14″
Starting Price: 20.00 GBP
Auction ends: Apr 15, 2012 10:10:03 PDT
Offered by: Ebay seller derbeatle, Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Comments: Wish there were better closeups here.  I like the interesting motifs that stand by themselves, breaking away from the trefoil connection so often seen in Irish Crochet.  Note the square picoted ground, probably not Clones knots, but no photos close enough to really tell. The motifs are nicely worked with some raised work. Some stains along then neckline, otherwise very good condition.

Sold for 20.00 GBP, 1 bidder.

http://tinyurl.com/7ugoxrz Antique/vintage hand made Honiton lace dress front
Size:
Neck front to edge 4.5″, width across front 8″
Starting Price: 8.00 GBP
Auction ends: Apr 15, 2012 10:33:44 PDT
Offered by: Ebay seller derbeatle, Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Comments: A Honiton dress front with attached standing neckpiece. Snails/slugs design with an unornamented bar ground. What I find interesting about this piece, and I’ve seen it before, is that there appears to be two rows of machine made tapes just inside the collar. Condition is a little strained, a few detached brides, and a curved motif gone wrong at the lower right side of the frontpiece. Nothing particularly serious.

Sold for 13.50 GBP, 3 bidders.

http://tinyurl.com/76qawlk Divine antique irish crochet lace collar w. 3 dimensional lily of the valley
Size:
19 cm deep at the back (I assume that’s the square frontpiece part)
Starting Price: 28.00 GBP
Auction ends: Apr 15, 2012 11:07:34 PDT
Offered by: Ebay seller linskapet, Kirkcudbright, Dumfries & Galloway DG6 4UU, United Kingdom
Comments: This one of those fun, odd pieces that gives Irish Crochet unexpected interest, just when you think you’ve seen it all. The heavily raised flowers are tightly woven against a very regular ground. Note the bellflower overlapping the edge structure on one of the shoulder pieces – a little worrisome. The seller cites those unqualified words I shudder to hear, ‘freshly laundered’. It does look nicely white and flat from the photos, and I don’t see any obvious damage.

Sold for 28.00 GBP, 1 bidder.

http://tinyurl.com/c88ej4p VINTAGE c1940’s. Handade MALTESE SILK LACE SMALL TABLECLOTH
Size:
~40″ square
Starting Price: 14.99 GBP
Auction ends: Apr 15, 2012 12:08:57 PDT
Offered by: Ebay seller lacisfair, Surrey, United Kingdom
Comments: A small square Maltese cloth with a central star pattern. Note the alternating Cross and woven leaf grids around the center – this is echoed in the internal designs. There is some more ambitious guipure work near the center.  A few loose threads and pale spots, overall good condition.

Sold for 75.22 GBP, 6 bidders.

http://tinyurl.com/cp257qd HONITON LACE TROUT FRIDGE MAGNET – PHOTOGRAPHIC
Size:
5 cm x 8 cm
Starting Price: 1.00 GBP
Auction ends: Apr 15, 2012 12:11:19 PDT
Offered by: Ebay seller redpinewood, Sunny Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Comments: This seller is showing a number of these pieces, and I thought the fish was so well made that I’d take a closer look. I thought I’d ask her about the name of the maker, but I’m sure she will disclose that to the buyer. This is an example of the revival of Honiton that occurred in the 1970’s, and gets a lot of respect from me. Very nice piece.

Sold for 1.00 GBP, 1 bidder.

http://tinyurl.com/7pampyx UNIQUE HandMade Antique Vtg TATTED LACE STOMACHER COLLAR DRESS FRONT
Size:
12″ x 14″
Starting Price: $14.99
Auction ends: Apr 15, 2012 18:06:48 PDT
Offered by: Ebay seller adtjmd,RED VELVET BENCH, United States
Comments: Here’s something for the tatters.  Condition is excellent, apparently due to having been framed for a long while. There is general age discoloration. Some of the motifs are tied together, and some appear to be joined, so this could qualify as a transitional piece.  I think it has a very nice impact.

Sold for $79.00, 4 bidders.

http://tinyurl.com/7hpbvwv ANTIQUE LACE- EARLY FINE POINT DE FRANCE LACE
Size:
3.25″ x 42″
Starting Price: $150.00
Auction ends: Apr 16, 2012 07:32:36 PDT
Offered by: Maria Niforos, Ebay seller mithya, London-New York, United States
Comments: I was all set to call this Point de France until I saw some of the vines trails up close. Usually in the earlier laces these are laid down and buttonholed inside. Here they seem to to have a spaced buttonhole edge on both sides, which I associate with later copies, or perhaps a reworking of an earlier piece. Seems to be a mixture of the two techniques. The raised work has beautiful picots which certainly look French, but maybe not quite as much sculpting as I would expect. And the design is difficult to follow – usually you can trace out something. I’m going out on a limb here and say this is a reworked piece.

No bids.

http://tinyurl.com/7b4t7ez Antique Brussels Lace Handmade Belgian Lierre Lace Wedding Veil Heirloom
Size:
65″ x 72″
Starting Price: $6,500 Buy-it-Now
Auction ends: 3 days 22  hours from 6:28 PM MST. End time on Buy-it-now pieces is not often given in Ebay listing, and I’m tired of estimating.
Offered by: Ebay seller marthyross, Manchester, United Kingdom
Comments: Only one impressive looking photo on this listing, and I’m unsure whether this is really tambour or a Brussels bobbinlace application. I’ll guess tambour from the little I can see. Seller cites one small repair and some pinpricks.

Unsold as of 4/22/12.

This entry was posted in Ebay Alerts!. Bookmark the permalink.